Family Law FAQs

Image of empty room with high ceilings and shiny wood floors with seeral boxes packed and ready to go depicting relocating.

Relocation and Child Custody: Can I Relocate With My Child to Another City or State?

December 18, 2015

When a parent who has (or is seeking) custody of a child decides to relocate to another city or state, disputes regarding child custody or visitation may arise, especially if the other parent objects to the relocation. In circumstances where there is a written custody agreement or North Carolina Court order that establishes legal and physical custody of a child, it may be necessary for the parent who desires to relocate to initiate legal proceedings…

Read This Article >>
Small statue of Lady Justice against marble.

Can My Spouse and I Use the Same Divorce Attorney?

November 17, 2015

When spouses separate, there may be many legal issues that arise in connection with their marital separation, including child custody, child support, spousal support, and equitable distribution of marital property and debts, as well as the actual “absolute” divorce. Divorcing spouses often look for ways to reduce their legal expenses and may wonder if they can use one attorney to prepare their separation agreement and/or obtain their divorce. In North Carolina, the answer is “no.”…

Read This Article >>

Does Child Support Automatically Terminate When My Child Turns Age 18?

September 2, 2015

Ordinarily, a parent’s legal responsibility to provide child support for their child terminates when the child attains age 18. However, there are exceptions. If the child is still in primary or secondary school when the child attains age 18, child support will continue by law until the child graduates from high school, ceases to attend school on a regular basis, fails to make academic progress, or reaches age 20, whichever first occurs. Upon application to…

Read This Article >>

What Should I Wear to Court (and why does it matter)?

July 8, 2015

The clothes you wear say a lot about who you are. By simply observing a person’s clothing, consciously or unconsciously, we form impressions about that person’s attitude, lifestyle, social status, or even religion. The way you dress conveys a message, and when you are going to court, the message matters. Regardless of whether you’re going to court as a party to a lawsuit, a witness, or an observer or supporter, you should dress appropriately for…

Read This Article >>
Street sign against a cloud dappled sky above a grassy field that says "Rebranding" depicting changing a name and identity

How Can I Resume My Maiden Name or Former Surname Following Divorce?

October 30, 2014

North Carolina General Statute § 50-12(a) authorizes a woman whose marriage is dissolved by divorce to change her name to any of the following: “(1) Her maiden name; or (2) The surname of a prior deceased husband; or (3) The surname of a prior living husband if she has children who have that husband’s surname.” Section (a1) of that statute provides that any man whose marriage is dissolved by divorce may “change the surname he…

Read This Article >>